Manual Focus shooters - what classic lenses do you use?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
jeffharris
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,530Gear list
Like?
Re: Manual Focus shooters - what classic lenses do you use?
In reply to Maklike Tier, 2 months ago

Maklike Tier wrote:

I've been thinking about the Voigtlander 17.5mm f0.95 as my next lens, but instead of that I was maybe thinking about trying to find some classic glass and attaching it to my E-P5.

For all you manual focus fans out there, what would be a great piece of glass for MF street and general walkabout style shooting?

If you want a wide angle lens, then adapting a manual lens from another system really won't do given the M4/3 sensor crop. When you adapt a wide angle, it becomes fairly normal. I have a Nikon 20mm f2.8 I bought when I was shooting film and was very disappointed when I adapted it for my GH2.

That said, you are some wide angles you could adapt. Voigtländer makes a 12mm f5.6 and 15mm f4.5 (available in Leica M and L mounts). They are much more expensive than faster native M4/3 lenses, so their benefit is questionable. I have a native M4/3 SLR Magic 12mm T1.6. It's quite a good little lens with nice film-like rendering. Lots of character.

As for suggestions for manual lenses you could adapt (relatively cheaply, I assume? )… a few of my faves and lenses I use regularly, especially the first three.

• Voigtländer 35mm f1.4 (M mount) Okay, it's not cheap, but a great little lens. A favorite walkabout!
  • Voigtländer 75mm f2.5 Color Heliar (L mount)
  • Nikon 105mm f2.8 AI-S macro
  • Pentax SMC Takumar 50mm f1.4 
  • Pentax SMC Takumar 105mm f2.8
  • Olympus OM 135mm f 2.8

If you want a great wide angle, just get a Voigtländer 17.5mm. It's one of my favorite lenses, native OR adapted!

jeffharris's gear list:jeffharris's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Voigtlander Nokton 25mm F0.95 Voigtlander Nokton 42.5mm F0.95 Voigtlander Nokton 17.5mm F0.95 Aspherical +25 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow