What one thing will motivate you to buy a new camera?

Started 5 months ago | Polls thread
Ido S
Senior MemberPosts: 1,341Gear list
Like?
Darn it, that's difficult!
In reply to Marty4650, 5 months ago

I answered "Better AF speed, tracking, and accuracy. Faster burst mode. A camera that would do an better job at sports and action photography," but I really debated for a good long time.

I wanted to answer with "More resolution (more megapixels)." The 16MP Four Thirds sensor limits me a bit for large prints, but whenever I know there's a photograph I want to print very large, I shoot for a panorama. I wish to stay in the Micro Four Thirds system, as it works very well for me apart from this minor inconvenience, so once technology permits a sizable resolution increase (by at least 25%) without compromising dynamic range and roughly keeping the same noise levels at high ISOs as the current crop of 16MP Four Thirds sensors, I may consider upgrading.

That being said, I think focus tracking reliability is the weakest link of my OM-D E-M5, and many seem to agree. While I don't regularly shoot action, having a camera that can track a moving subject reliably is always a good trait. It would also help in my lazy days, when I just want to focus and recompose.

But that just isn't enough reasoning for me to dump my E-M5, at least while I'm still rounding out my lens kit and in need of a better computer (which would be even more important, if/when higher resolution Four Thirds sensors come).

Thanks for bringing out my GAS though. (Cynical, of course.) I believe that I've managed to restrain it for the time being.

Ido S's gear list:Ido S's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 25mm F1.8 Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5 +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow