a7S high ISO claim - - -over hyped or not ?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
TThorne
Senior MemberPosts: 2,549Gear list
Like?
Re: Dynamic range, ISO-less sensors
In reply to ProfHankD, 3 months ago

ProfHankD wrote:

TThorne wrote:

Rishi Sanyal wrote:

There's also a dynamic range benefit at higher ISOs. At base ISO, however, there's a dynamic range cost compared to the A7R.

This is devastating news to me. I am truly saddened to see this confirmed and thankful at the same time for the work you have put into it. I love everything about the A7S, but for practical issues on the job (for me at least) the A7 and A7R seem like the reigning champions, as I value low ISO DR above much else.

I don't know why people expect cameras with good very high ISO performance to do well at low ISOs -- that's really not how it works.

Simple answer, these were hopes/expectations based on the claims made by Sony. No need be confused as to "why people..."

I agree with you that the DR is still impressive, especially given the other features of the camera and sensor. I still bought it and am happy with it, so that outweighs the let down. But don't discount the let down that some people might experience in the face of a direct claim being shot down. The same would happen in other industries and lead to lawsuits for those who care to do that sort of thing. It doesn't matter that I am happy with the camera nonetheless. A company still is not supposed to make marketing claims they can't substantiate.

Whatever though, I am a happy Sony customer.

-- hide signature --

A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on. - Sir Winston Churchill

TThorne's gear list:TThorne's gear list
Leica M Typ 240 Sony Alpha 7R Sony Alpha 7S Leica Summilux-M 21mm f/1.4 Asph Leica Summilux-M 35mm f/1.4 ASPH +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow