a7S high ISO claim - - -over hyped or not ?

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
TThorne
Senior MemberPosts: 2,641Gear list
Like?
Re: a7S high ISO claim - - -over hyped or not ?
In reply to D Cox, 5 months ago

D Cox wrote:

TThorne wrote:

Rishi Sanyal wrote:

There's also a dynamic range benefit at higher ISOs. At base ISO, however, there's a dynamic range cost compared to the A7R.

This is devastating news to me. I am truly saddened to see this confirmed and thankful at the same time for the work you have put into it. I love everything about the A7S, but for practical issues on the job (for me at least) the A7 and A7R seem like the reigning champions, as I value low ISO DR above much else.

The A7 is a general purpose camera which can be supplemented by the two other models when you need either maximum resolution or very high ISO.

I think these should be seen as optional second cameras for those who already own an A7.

I already own an A7 that I like a lot for my architecture work. Other than that, I use my M240's. I did do some more research though and found that once we hit ISO400, the DR advantage between the R and the S evens out, with the S taking the lead thereafter.

I gave it some thought and realized that when I am lighting architecture, I do tend to shoot at ISO 320/400 for various reasons, so that really helped, and I picked up my A7S today, and used it for work immediately. I am happy I did. Under certain conditions, I really appreciate the small file sizes, and when I pull the TSE off it and mount some of my Leica glass, it will be a fun time low light camera. Overall, I like the camera, and the only thing negative I would say is not even about the gear, but just that Sony should not have claimed 15+ stops of DR. Otherwise, the camera works splendidly, and the fact that Sony now provides a charger and 2 batteries with the camera gets a thumbs up from me.

I will likely keep the A7S and an A7R for various work loads with my Leica's for travel work and personal.

-- hide signature --

A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on. - Sir Winston Churchill

TThorne's gear list:TThorne's gear list
Leica M-Monochrom Leica M Typ 240 Sony Alpha 7S Leica Summilux-M 21mm f/1.4 Asph Leica Summilux-M 35mm f/1.4 ASPH +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow