Started 4 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Big Swifty
Forum MemberPosts: 59Gear list
Like?
Help a newb set up his Aperture library
4 weeks ago

A month or two ago I purchased Aperture along with the Scoppettuolo book and though I’m aware of Apple’s decision to cease support I figure I’ll learn it as I’m already deep in the world of Apple, have the software and book, and just spent a bunch of $ on lenses and would rather not spend the money on software right now. Maybe I’ll get lucky and Photos will offer what we all wish, if not in the initial release, somewhere in the future. Guessing this post will get response from those who are sticking with Aperture for the time being. I’m aware of the options other than Aperture but for now I’ll stick with it and learn some skills that hopefully should transfer should I need to go that route so no need to sell me on switching right now.

I have a mid-2009 MacBook Pro, 4 GB RAM, 160 GB HD, along with 2 Seagate Backup Plus 4 TB External HD’s; one for Aperture/iTunes files and 500 GB partitioned off for Time Machine backups, and the second drive to backup the first. I'm not a pro and so don't think I need to set up multiple libraries.  I shoot RAW+jpeg with a Fuji X-E1.  I need help in setting up my library.

I figure it best to keep my internal drive filled only with software and the few documents I have so it doesn’t get bogged down.  The only other software I plan on occasionally using for now is Photomatix; probably Pro 5 and not the Aperture Plug-In due the uncertain future of Aperture. I was thinking it might be best to import files onto the MacBook, add keywords and decide what should be rejected, and then move files over to the first Seagate drive. I’d bring them over to the MacBook for editing purposes or edit with the drive attached (?). If this doesn’t make sense, what does?  I'm sure there are many options but it all seems a bit much for me to digest being that I'm such a newb.

From what I’m reading it seems it would be best to go with a referenced library where files are located on the external drive, but as a newb I’m a bit confused. Any opinions, tips, links to easy to understand articles elsewhere on the interweb (I’m not the most computer savvy guy and tend to get lost/bored if too much tech speak) would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

Big Swifty's gear list:Big Swifty's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow