ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Wanchese
Senior MemberPosts: 2,385Gear list
Like?
First Dirt: Speedway Action
5 months ago

D4S, 70-200mm 2.8 VR1, SB-900, 1/20th @ f2.8, iso 200, manual flash 1/8th power

Had an opportunity to try some AMA Speedway shooting last weekend and jumped at the chance. What a rush! There were really no limits on how close I dared get to the riders, and they could have cared less.

The first few heats were replete with deletes. I never really got the gig nailed, but by the final heats, I was getting some keepers. I really had a tough time finding the sweet spot with shutter speeds. Flash durations with the SB-900 in retrospect seemed to have a more domineering impact than light output levels. You can tame light with aperture, but there is only so much you can do with the shutter speed to counteract the action freezing effects off the shorter duration, lower powered flash bursts. Maybe I'm wrong on that count, but I'm still stumped. The first shot posted, taken during the Feature, was snapped at 1/20th of a second, the 2nd photo taken at 1/250th, yet the motion blurring seems materially the same.

-- hide signature --

YNWA

Wanchese's gear list:Wanchese's gear list
Nikon D3 Nikon D700 Nikon D800 Nikon D4s Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +5 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow