Anyone used both a Canon 400mm prime, and Tamron 150-600mm zoom?

Started 3 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
CreeDo
Contributing MemberPosts: 621Gear list
Like?
Anyone used both a Canon 400mm prime, and Tamron 150-600mm zoom?
3 months ago

I'm about 80% gonna buy the Tamron. But, it never hurts to consult.

Basically I know that the Canon makes a slightly sharper picture. I've seen benchmark tests, I've seen that lens comparison site. Watched a youtube video review comparing the two in real world wildlife shooting. And checked out some photo galleries with both (here's some unreal shots from R2D2's Canon 400mm f5.6 ...and here's some unreal photos from Tal Chappar's Tamron 150-600 review.)

But, the Canon (even the older f5.6 model) is ~$1300, and the 1.4x teleconverter is no joke at $300-$500 more too, if I wanted to equal the Tamron's reach. So we're looking at like $1700 vs. $1100.

In addition to saving $600, I get image stabilization with the Tamron (which I love), and if a golden eagle should happen to land 5 feet in front of me, I can zoom out to other 150 instead of having a fixed 400.

So why am I even asking? Well, one reviewer implied the IQ for the Tamron was weak enough, that you'd get a better image with the canon @400mm vs. the Tamron @600, shooting the same subject. They implied that the tamron shouldn't even call it a 600mm, and that the Canon's IQ is flat out better in all situations, even without a teleconverter. In which case we're comparing $1100 to $1300 with slightly better sharpness.

And with a teleconverter, you not only get better IQ at the 600 range, you still have a lens that is much smaller and lighter than the tamron, somewhat negating the advantage I get from stabilization. And the canon came strongly recommended and sounds almost like a 'must-have' for those looking to shoot wildlife and birds.

So, I am not completely sure. Who here has owned both?

CreeDo's gear list:CreeDo's gear list
Canon EOS 1200D Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 IF ED MC Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Tamron SP 150-600mm F/5-6.3 Di VC USD +1 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow