Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
JTori
Contributing MemberPosts: 773Gear list
Like?
Lens Image Quality and Review Samples
5 months ago

Many years ago I was responsible for long-lead media relations for a major automobile manufacturer. In this role I managed a 300-vehicle fleet of press vehicles along with the processes for ordering, build, "qualification", delivery, service and retirement. Cars destined for use with magazines focused on straight-line performance were tweaked for 0-60 and 1/4-mile testing, while those slated for publications interested in consumers were "qualified" for braking and economy.

Why do I mention this? Seems to me there is an analog in the photo equipment manufacturing industry.

I have had two samples of the Olympus 14-150mm M43 zoom. The first was horrible (partly due to poor packaging for shipment, I'm sure), while the second was better but not great.

Meanwhile, to be certain I was not expecting too much from the equipment, I visited several review sites, examining sample images and comparing them to my own. Guess what: With a few exceptions, the review samples returned much more impressive image quality than the samples I have had in my possession.

What are your thoughts?

Just an observation.

Joe.

JTori's gear list:JTori's gear list
Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-150mm 1:4-5.6
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow