Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
TigTillinghast
Junior MemberPosts: 44Gear list
Like?
Canon's new 16-35 f/4 versus Sigma's new 18-35 f/1.8
5 months ago

For crop sensor shooters, I wonder if anyone's done a comparison between these new lenses. I just picked up the Sigma last week, and I like it plenty. I wonder if I'm missing something with the Canon, aside from full frame compatibility.

It appears that you have a Canon lens that isn't overly fast, but with IS that probably gets it to just about where the Sigma is with its inherent speed but lack of stabilization. The reviews say very good things about the Canon's sharpness, which might make it competitive to the Sigma.

I do know that the new IS units coming out are pretty good. I just shot a relative's new 10-18, which is about as slow as anything Canon'sĀ ever put out, but it truly has 4-stop IS. I was taking shots at 1 second that were sharp (when braced).

So, two questions:

1- Are there any direct comparisons out there?

2- What's worse: slow lens/good IS, or fast lens/no IS?

Knowing that everyone's going to bark about it depending on your shooting style, I'll put these two parameters on things:

- The lenses are used 1/2 for landscapes and 1/2 for interior people shots in relatively poor light.

- Tripod is used rarely.

TigTillinghast's gear list:TigTillinghast's gear list
Canon EOS 100D Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM +3 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow