Started 5 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
frkm0005
Junior MemberPosts: 42Gear list
Like?
New Prime or Smaller Second Body for Walk Around and Travel
5 months ago

Hello all. I posted this in another forum but I realized it belongs here.

I decided to rent the Nikon 24mm f1.4G and the 35mm f1.4G to see which I would prefer for a wide to semi wide prime to use on my D800E. Deciding which one I want more is another discussion in itself (honestly I like them both for their merits). Anyway, for the price of either of these I could invest in a second smaller body, like the Fuji X-T1 with a somewhat equivalent field of view lens. It would cost more to go this route but I'm truly getting a more walk around camera and lens. My fiancé recently got an Olympus OMD EM1 and she loves it. It has great ergonomics but I haven't played around with it enough to know if it's for me.

Here's the hardest part for me: I love my D800E. So I'm biased towards a prime as mentioned above. I haven't checked out the 28mm f1.8G but I don't have any 1.4 lenses so part of this exercise was to see what 1.4 is like. I do like the 24mm over the 35mm but I think the 35mm is a more practical focal length. Also, I can get the 24mm for only $180 more than the 35mm right now due to a sale at my local camera shop. Hmmmmmm.... My fiancé did point out an interesting fact. If I buy into a new system I'll go crazy acquiring lenses for that.

Does anyone have some advice, perhaps long term practicality. Right now the 24mm is $1980 (down from $2400) and the 35mm is $1800 (down from $2000). The Fuji X-T1 body alone is $1300 and isn't on sale because it's still new and hot. Same goes for the Fuji 23mm f1.4 which is $1000, no sale.

frkm0005's gear list:frkm0005's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow