Flying Heron Action, Bird Closeups (A6000)

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
zackiedawg
Forum ProPosts: 21,635Gear list
Like?
Flying Heron Action, Bird Closeups (A6000)
2 months ago

I wanted to share more of June's birding action in the summer heat of the wetlands - with some more bird species, some of the same bird species closeup, and more in-flight bird action with some of the larger wading herons and egrets which are pretty much everywhere this time of year.  All shots A6000, 55-210mm lens, and DH1758 1.7x teleextender...shooting through the heat and humidity and sweat, running from the rain and dodging the lightning bolts!

A female, possibly juvenile, black-crowned night heron sitting quietly in the shade of the trees in a small pond of water, waiting for fish to appear below

Green heron - unlike my last post, this one was stretching out that hidden retractable neck as I approached, deciding whether or not to fly off

A few seconds later, he made his decision, clucking and flying off...I was far too close and far too short of notice, but still tried to whip up the camera for a shot, and surprisingly squeezed him into the frame without cutting off a wingtip, though a bit of motion blur purely my fault for not being ready in time!

Lovely little least bittern sneaking quietly through the reeds down at the water level - they're so intent on fishing and stalking that they really don't pay much attention to me at all, even when I'm just 10 feet away.

Really close up with a tricolor heron

Big wingspan bomber coming in!  Great blue heron, a juvenile testing out his flying maneuvers, coming in fast over the water

I usually don't put people in my wildlife shots, but I loved the looks of wonder and appreciation on the faces of the couple as they watch the big great blue heron landing right in front of them

On a return trip, the young great blue heron headed more in my direction and gave me a lovely water backdrop setting

A pretty little male red-winged blackbird sitting up on the rail, giving me a look

Another great blue heron in flight, wings all spread out - I liked how the green foliage reflecting in the water contrasted the blue-grey colors of the bird - this was one shot out of a sequence of 3 taken quickly in burst - he was moving very fast!

Comments, questions, critique welcomed as always.  Hope you enjoyed some more Florida wetlands activity, even if I enjoyed going out and shooting it a little bit more!

-- hide signature --

Justin
galleries: www.pbase.com/zackiedawg

zackiedawg's gear list:zackiedawg's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A580 Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony a6000 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake +24 more
Sony a6000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow