Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
V3 - Feel & Touch Screen = Sweet!
10 months ago

I have been shooting two V1's since the fire sale. I really have enjoyed them and am happy with the IQ level vs camera size. So much so, over the last year have sold off most of my FX/DX gear to fund N1 lenses. I am just shooting family, travel pics & sports. My biggest display is size small prints or a 46' TV (2MP?), so this IQ level is fine for me.

Lucky to have been playing with a loaner V3 since Wed night & WOW is all I can say. What an improvement over the V1's in speed (touch screen) and handling! The big grip and two wheels and all the function buttons are heaven. I shoot mostly M, so with the two wheels & buttons I no longer have to take the camera from my eye. It is so close to the shooting feel of my DSLR, just tiny. One funny thing is I keep trying to menu dive to change between M, A & S and not using the PASM wheel, Duh! Guess I am used to the V1's...

The build quality surprised me too, it is all metal and really nice. Using the 6.7-13, 10-100 and 70-300 (The new holy trinity? lol) with their metal barrels has such a high quality feel. It feels like using the old SLR and AI-S lenses, all metal.

I have never had a camera with a flip or touch screen. In two days I am not sure I can go back. To change settings, set the focus point (and can even be the shutter release) with a touch of the screen, is so cool and fast. The angles you can shoot is also awesome, it opens up a whole new range of shots.

Other thing is I am actually very happy that the EVF is removable. I can have a built up body or strip it down and put on the 10mm to have a pocket-able camera. This is a good engineering design!

I did not expect this much of a difference V1 -> V3. Yes there are a few things that could be better, but I have learned to work around the weaknesses of the V1 and the V3 only has a few.

Will see what I can post here this weekend for pics. I shot a ton last night and need to find some processing time. I am shooting barefoot skiers and air chair (nuts) tomorrow morning & fireworks at night.  These N1 cameras make it fun to shoot!

Just my .02...

MikeyLikesNikon's gear list:MikeyLikesNikon's gear list
Nikon Coolpix A Nikon D600 Nikon 1 V3
Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 V3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow