Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
MikeyLikesNikon
Regular MemberPosts: 376Gear list
Like?
V3 - Feel & Touch Screen = Sweet!
5 months ago

I have been shooting two V1's since the fire sale. I really have enjoyed them and am happy with the IQ level vs camera size. So much so, over the last year have sold off most of my FX/DX gear to fund N1 lenses. I am just shooting family, travel pics & sports. My biggest display is size small prints or a 46' TV (2MP?), so this IQ level is fine for me.

Lucky to have been playing with a loaner V3 since Wed night & WOW is all I can say. What an improvement over the V1's in speed (touch screen) and handling! The big grip and two wheels and all the function buttons are heaven. I shoot mostly M, so with the two wheels & buttons I no longer have to take the camera from my eye. It is so close to the shooting feel of my DSLR, just tiny. One funny thing is I keep trying to menu dive to change between M, A & S and not using the PASM wheel, Duh! Guess I am used to the V1's...

The build quality surprised me too, it is all metal and really nice. Using the 6.7-13, 10-100 and 70-300 (The new holy trinity? lol) with their metal barrels has such a high quality feel. It feels like using the old SLR and AI-S lenses, all metal.

I have never had a camera with a flip or touch screen. In two days I am not sure I can go back. To change settings, set the focus point (and can even be the shutter release) with a touch of the screen, is so cool and fast. The angles you can shoot is also awesome, it opens up a whole new range of shots.

Other thing is I am actually very happy that the EVF is removable. I can have a built up body or strip it down and put on the 10mm to have a pocket-able camera. This is a good engineering design!

I did not expect this much of a difference V1 -> V3. Yes there are a few things that could be better, but I have learned to work around the weaknesses of the V1 and the V3 only has a few.

Will see what I can post here this weekend for pics. I shot a ton last night and need to find some processing time. I am shooting barefoot skiers and air chair (nuts) tomorrow morning & fireworks at night.  These N1 cameras make it fun to shoot!

Just my .02...

MikeyLikesNikon's gear list:MikeyLikesNikon's gear list
Nikon D600 Nikon 1 V3
Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 V3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow