Started 3 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Wismie
Regular MemberPosts: 485Gear list
Like?
Should I replace my 1D Mark II?
3 months ago

It's been a long time since I came here, and actually a very long time since I did any real good photo shooting. I was burn out a few years ago and completely stopped any "serious" photography, except for iPhone pics. I also purchased a 600D to take pictures of my daughter and be able to do some high-quality videos of her, and I was happy enough with the camera for its purpose (good and not too heavy).

I also have a 1D Mark II which I used semi-professionally 8-9 years ago (mainly architecture shots, but I also did a safari with it). I've always been very happy with the picture quality, and as of today, I still think that the camera pictures are nicer than the 600D's. It's quicker as well, obviously, but I'm not really shooting sports. It could be helpful to take shots of my daughter, but actually the camera is too heavy for me to carry around, so I stick with my 600D and iPhone.

I'm slowly coming back to (studio/posed) photography, and more specifically to maternity/children/newborns photography. I plan to start building my portfolio, and I wonder if my 1D is still good "enough" for customer work or if it wouldn't be better to go for a 5D Mark III. Weight it not really an issue in this case as I'm no carrying the camera around, and I use a tripod half of the time.

I have lots of Canon glasses so obviously I will not look at Nikon, and I need to leverage my lenses collection, so I will continue to shoot with a Canon. The question is would I be disappointed if I switch from the 1D Mark II to the 5D Mark III? Is the 1D Mark II still a good camera or is it really worth investing in new Canon equipment? Would the 600D be a good alternate solution?

(aside from that I'm considering to buy the Pentax 645Z, so I don't necessarily need to have the best-in-breed Canon camera, only a good enough one )

Thanks for your replies!

Wismie's gear list:Wismie's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark II Canon EOS 600D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Pentax 645Z Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II +11 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 600D (EOS Rebel T3i / EOS Kiss X5) Canon EOS-1D Canon EOS-1D Mark II Pentax 645Z
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow