ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
rob_b
Regular MemberPosts: 432Gear list
Like?
A conundrum, swap D7100 for D3s..what would you advise
1 month ago

Hello all,

This is sort of a homeless thread, as it could be in the Dn forum too.

I'm not altogether happy with the images I get from my D7100/300f2/8/TC2. By contrast, I recently re-acquired (for almost nothing) an old favourite - a Fuji S5pro. I can persuade myself that the image from the Fuji was better (very subjective) than the D7100.

It also made clear to me that 'good pixels' are preferable to 'lots of pixels'. I always loved the quality of the Fuji Sx series - it still has that quality.

Lastly, because of Uk light conditions, I nearly always find myself pushing ISO to gain shutter speed, and I am not impressed by the noise that can emerge. I cannot justify masses of time masking to differentially alter noise.

So, I have been thinking. I have been impressed by the images from the D3s - notably at high ISo, and also, it has a super frame rate. It 12mp, compared to 24 on the D7100, but given that I am pleased with the lapwing at 6mp from the Fuji, I might be less interested in that. I should say that being able to crop further with the D7100 is not a real gain, because I just don;t have the sharp focus or sharpness I need to do that.

Would you advise me to buy a 2010 body in place of the D7100 - this is now an affordable option. Would the other performance gains outweigh the loss of resolution. I am away that I would go from DX to FX, of course. Also, the added weight is not of importance.

Thanks

Rob

I know these two images are not precisely comparable, but care to express an opinion?

A: Do you prefer this one?

B: or this one?

Nikon D3S Nikon D7100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow