24-85mm light transmission 0.5 stops less than my other lens at same exposure setting

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
romfordbluenose
Contributing MemberPosts: 799Gear list
Like?
24-85mm light transmission 0.5 stops less than my other lens at same exposure setting
3 months ago

I've had this problem for quite a while now, since I got the lens 12 months ago with my D800.

Pictures taken with my 24-85 lens show about a half stop light transmission loss compared to all my other lens.

What I mean by this is when I use the same exposure based on identical aperture, speed and ISO settings the histogram associated with the 24-85 shows about a half stop shift to the left compared to all my other lens. I have tested this against all my other lens and they all show approximately the same histogram and are consistent with each other. (18-35d, 50d, 85g, 105g micro, 70-300vr)

It hasn't been a real problem as half a stop is nothing really and can easily be compensated for in pp if necessary but I thought I'd like to get to the bottom of the problem.

Does anyone have any ideas? Is this typical of this lens? Does it indicate that the aperture blades or connections are half a stop out on the lens? Does anyone elase have the same problem?

This is the same no matter what aperture I set so it does not appear to be sticky blades in any way.

By the way I also had the same problem with my 16-85 on my D300 and sent the lens back to Nikon on numerous accasions but they couldn't fix the problem and said it was all within tolerances so I lived with it.

romfordbluenose's gear list:romfordbluenose's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF Nikkor 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5D IF ED Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR +4 more
Canon EOS 50D Nikon D300 Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow