Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
drj3
Senior MemberPosts: 1,330Gear list
Like?
E-M1 – Red-wing & Red-tail BIF – A Pleasant Surprise
3 months ago

This was my first opportunity to check the E-M1+EC14+50-200 SWD for BIFs since the last firmware update. Camera settings – Rls Priority C = On, FPS = L – 6fps, Frame Rate = High, Shutter Speed 1/1250, Exposure Compensation = 1.3 (it should have been 2), CAF, C-AF Lock = High, AF area = Center 9 points. I manually pre-focused the lens and as soon as I obtained auto focus lock, pressed the shutter and held it as I tracked the Red-tailed Hawk for about 9 seconds ( until it disappeared behind a tree) for a total of 49 RAW images.

1. I found it to be easy to track the hawk in the EVF at the 6 fps rate even though the hawk changed directions, dropped altitude. stopped momentarily and changed flight speed in response to the blackbird’s attack.

2. All images of the hawk were in acceptable focus. I was surprised by the focus tracking accuracy.

3. There was no slowing of the frame rate over the 49 images (Sandisk 95MB/s)

4. The most surprising thing was that the camera continued to track the hawk as it flew behind a tree. I expected it to shift focus to the tree and lose focus on the hawk and blackbird (the images are not great through tree branches and moving tree leaves, but it does give me more confidence in the CAF).

Attached are four images, the fourth one is the fourth image of the hawk and blackbird through the trees.

I found the camera to be as good as the E5 in at least this situation when using a lens with mechanically linked focus which allows easy pre-focus. I would find this much more difficult with a focus by wire lens since there is no CAF+MF on the E-M1. The E5 would have been easier to use with a focus by wire lens. I hope they add CAF+MF to the E-M1 in a future firmware update.

Before Red-winged Blackbird Attack

Red-winged Attack

Continued Red-winged Chase

Tracking through tree limbs and leaves.

-- hide signature --

drj3

drj3's gear list:drj3's gear list
Olympus E-510 Olympus E-5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD +5 more
Olympus E-5 Olympus E-M1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow