NEX-5R - I'm Just Starting out, and I Have Questions!

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
jrxminy
New MemberPosts: 7Gear list
Like?
NEX-5R - I'm Just Starting out, and I Have Questions!
2 months ago

I recently received my first-ever camera, the 5R. I'm interested in street and architecture photography, or just out and about stuff with friends. I've been recommended the SEL16F28 with the UWA attachment (I think I'd also like the fisheye). My camera came with the SEL1855. I have the following questions:

- The SEL16F28 doesn't zoom. Is it seriously as easy as focusing and shooting, or am I missing how to properly use it?

- Should I keep my 18-55? What applications are best for it?

- What accessories should I be saving up for? My camera came with the lens, body, battery and flash. I'm planning on getting a screen protector, strap, maybe something to protect the body while shooting (I plan on doing over the shoulder/neck so it's always handy) and something to clean it with. What about accessories for travel? I plan on putting it in carry-on with all of my other belongings, so I need to travel light. I've read that socks are great to stuff your lenses in.

- What's the real deal with lens filters? Along with accessories, everything I've been able to find is Buzzfeed-esqu "10 Reasons to Stack Every Lens Filter Ever Invented on at the Same Time" or "Why all Lens Filters Are for N00bz". No one seems to have any real facts and I'm frustrated! What applications do the people here who use them, use them for?

Thanks for any help that is provided! I will be eternally grateful for the knowledge, and I would love to see any other tips you have.

jrxminy's gear list:jrxminy's gear list
NEX5R Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS
NEX5R
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow