Started 3 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
stevesayskanpai
Regular MemberPosts: 168Gear list
Like?
Sigma 17-50 2.8 DX First Thoughts
3 weeks ago

So, after much discussion I finally took the plunge and bought a new lens for my camera. This is my first 'big' lens, and so unboxing it and putting it on my D5100 body, replacing the 18-55 kit lens, I was both surprised and impressed by its size. The diameter of the lens is HUGE when you're used to the kit lens! The lens hood clicked into place nicely, and the zoom ring has a nice smooth action, although it's slightly counterintuitive for me as it works the opposite way to Nikon lenses.

I did some test shots out of my window and, as expected, the lens was slightly soft in the corners at 17mm at 2.8. Otherwise it appears fairly good to me, though obviously more testing is required.

If anyone feels like viewing these images 100% and letting me know their thoughts that'd be great! They are all at f 2.8 I believe.

I'm now taking the lens on a week long holiday to Naples and Rome, where I'll put it through its paces properly before deciding whether or not to avail myself of Amazon's 30 day refund period.

-- hide signature --

D5100 user. Twitter @stevesayskanpai
Feedback always welcome:
www.stevenjamesmartin.com

stevesayskanpai's gear list:stevesayskanpai's gear list
Nikon D40 Nikon D5100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G +1 more
Nikon D5100 Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow