ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
blueoceandiver
New MemberPosts: 14Gear list
Like?
D810 hands on live view performance!
5 months ago

Dear all,

I've had the opportunity to play around with a D810 pre production model today and would like to share some thoughts with you.

First thing you'll notice is the better feel in your hands as the grip is much more ergonomic than on the D800(E). Very nice, Nikon!
Next is the shutter sound. Wow! Big improvement over the D800(E). The shutter is really much more quiet and the camera shakes less when you switch into live view. Sounds really great!

My main focus was the live view performance and how it compares to the crappy live view of the D800(E).
First impression was good. The live view is now tack sharp on the completely new display. Killer! No more interlacing in 100% view. Big improvement if you use manual focus lenses.
However.... live view performance in low light is not improved at all. My impression is that you see even more color noise in dark parts of the image when you use live view in low light conditions.
Here Canon is still king (unfortunately)

What I noticed additionally is a different display of the virtual horizon.
The histogram that you get with the button of the curser while reviewing your shot is now white instead of yellow.

Split screen is a really cool feature for landscape photographers. Unfortunately you can only select two points on a horizontal line to be displayed magnified side by side on the display. If you shoot in portrait orientation this helps a lot as you can can focus on the foreground and background at the same time. Killer feature for work with tilt-shift lenses. But when you shoot in horizontal you can only select points to compare on a horizontal line which makes it useless for optimization of sharpness from front to back. Don't know what Nikon thought about wen the developed this feature...

Beside the improved AF there are many small changes and/or improvements. Let's see what the sensor delivers in terms of ISO performance.

Cheers
Achim

http://www.achim-sieger.de

left: D810, right: D800E

left: D810, right: D800E

D810

D800E

Nikon D800 Nikon D800E Nikon D810
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow