Finding and 18200 lens for my A7 Alpha

Started 1 month ago | Questions thread
William Crockett
New MemberPosts: 9
Like?
Re: Finding and 18200 lens for my A7 Alpha
In reply to saintz, 4 weeks ago

saintz wrote:.

You bought an interchangeable lens camera, so change the lenses. Using a 28-70 or 24-70 and 70-200 in conjunction will give you better IQ than a super zoom.

If you want a good quality super zoom, you might consider the RX10. You get a 24-200 equivalent lens, Zeiss optics, and it's fast. In this case you're pairing a good lens with a good (but smaller) sensor. The 18-200 and A6000 you're pairing an ok lens with a good (but smaller than FF) sensor. With the A7 you are looking at either switching lenses, or using lesser glass.

The real key here is using the right tool for the job. The A7 is only a great camera if you use the right lenses with it. If you're going to use the 18-200, you're better using it on an A6000. If you want to switch lenses, the 24/28-70 and 70-200 make a good combo, but there's not a great FF super zoom for the A7, and likely never will be (without an adapter).

Thank you for your brilliant answer now I am looking at two options. I do have the 28-70 and must now pick between the 70-200 or as you have introduced, the RX10. You see one other reason for the non lens change is because in Northern India the dust is all pervasive.

Please if you could answer these questions...

1) Would the RX10 require an adapter or will fill easily on the A7? You say that it is a good lens but pairing with a smaller sensor. I take that you are referring that the Alpha A7 has a smaller sensor than the Sony DSL's which I guess the RX10 is made for. If I am correct then would that combination undermine the performance of the A7?

You are clear when you say "If you want to switch lenses, the 24/28-70 and 70-200 make a good combo, but there's not a great FF super zoom for the A7, and likely never will be (without an adapter)."

2) What would you say be the quality difference between the 70-200 and the RX10?

3) Is the RX10 weather resistant also?

I just want to use the right tool as you say for the job. I will follow your final recommendation. I really appreciate your help.

Kind Regards,

William

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow