D300 to Full Frame Upgrade? On a budget!

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Ante Susnjar
New MemberPosts: 12
Like?
D300 to Full Frame Upgrade? On a budget!
2 months ago

Hello dear reader!

I have a complication in that I want to move to full frame from my current and trusty D300 but not sure which way to go.

The recently announced D810 is a bit overkill and out of my price range so I'm thinking of a D610, used D600, D700 or even a D3 if the price is right.

I'm comfortable with all bodies and don't mind if it's big or small.

My current lenses are:

17-55mm F2.8 (DX lens)

50mm f1.4 (FX)

90mm f2.8 Tamron Macro (FX)

70-200mm f2.8 VR1 (FX)

The only lens that doesn't fit in is my 17-55 and that's the lens I use most often when travelling, walking about etc.  It doesn't bother me that I won't be able to use it on a FX body as my main reason for wanting full frame is for depth of field, low light and portraits.  That's pretty much it.  My D300 can handle pretty much anything (even everything I've listed that I need an FX body for) but I feel it's time to pony up and get into FX.  Eventually, when I scrounge enough to get some wide angle I'll get it but for now my budget only allows for the above bodies.

So what advice can users of these bodies give me?  What are advantages and disadvantages of the above noted bodies.  I'm looking for price, IQ, focusing and low light performance.  Pixels, size of body, FPS and video are non-factors for me.

Thanks for your time!

ANSWER:
Nikon D3 Nikon D300 Nikon D600 Nikon D610 Nikon D700 Nikon D810
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow