What would you like to see in an E-M5 II?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
sderdiarian
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,262Gear list
Like?
What would you like to see in an E-M5 II?
4 months ago

I've had my E-M5 for 1 1/2 years and it still amazes me how much Olympus got right in this now over 2 year old design, truly a revolutionary camera of its time. My favorite feature is still its combination of sturdy weathersealed build in a comfortable yet small body with the ability to "grow" it by adding an accessory grip.

Other things I wouldn't change include the general size/shape, 5 axis IBIS, dust buster that always works, dual control wheels, JPEG colors, traditional appearance, price point and the "witches hat" hump, now an iconic feature of the E-M5's appearance (I might be alone here!).

But time marches on and the E-M10 and E-M1 each show the way to an improved E-M5 II. Some possible features in my personal order of priority include:

• improved tracking ability (update of the E-M1's?) for shooting BIF
  • larger view EVF similar to E-M1's
  • banish shutter shock (nice if they released an update for current E-M5's here)
  • new 20+ MP sensor to allow for tighter cropping
  • better organized menus
  • faster powering up
  • more Fn buttons
  • more easily used Mysets
  • focus peaking
  • built-in flash
  • improved eyecup (deeper and more secure)
  • Panasonic quality video
  • silent electronic shutter
  • WiFi
  • GPS
  • 3.5" tilt/touch screen for easier on-site editing
  • centered tripod mount hole
  • stereo mic/speakers
  • mic out
  • slightly more pronounced built-in grip
  • optional add-on grip at E-M10 version's size/price (i.e, not requiring battery holder)
  • updated faster weathersealed 12-50+macro kit lens with hood included

Seems like a lot, but it's now mostly low hanging fruit given that many are already built into the E-M10, E-M1 and competing cameras.

Perhaps Olympus keeps an eye out for input, much as LG so clearly did in creating their new G3 smartphone.  So here's to wishing and hoping: what would you like to see?

-- hide signature --

Sailin' Steve

sderdiarian's gear list:sderdiarian's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II
Olympus E-M1 Olympus OM-D E-M10
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow