Switching to Canon from Nikon......maybe?

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
marcus300
Regular MemberPosts: 233Gear list
Like?
Switching to Canon from Nikon......maybe?
5 months ago

Help wanted. Thinking of switching systems from Nikon to Canon to get a slightly lighter system and wanted to get thoughts from people who have used Canon.

My Nikon Cams are a D300, D7000 (for when i may need video) and D5100 (when I wanna travel light). Either a 70D or a 7D Canon bodies I have looked at that seem similar to what I have now

Most used lenses at present:
Nikon 300mm F/4 afs + 1.4x tc,
70-200mm f/4
18-200vr1

My main reason for wanting to switch is to get a similar system with less weight, this is now becoming an issue as I have MS and hand holding heavy lenses is a challenge. Canon have a 300mm f/4 that is lighter and also has IS. This lens produces similarly stunning sharp shots wide open, like my Nikon 300mm f/4.

Canon lenses I am considering:

300mm f/4 + 1.4x tc. or

400mm f5.6

Which of these two systems works better at tracking motion

I mostly shoot wildlife now and, anything that takes my interest. I am confident of covering the cost of switching by selling all my Nikon gear and would only be out of pocket slightly, if at all.

All thoughts/advice welcome regarding the Canon system for mainly shooting wildlife that I may not be aware of.

regards, Mark

marcus300's gear list:marcus300's gear list
Nikon D300
Canon EOS 70D Canon EOS 7D Nikon D300 Nikon D5100 Nikon D7000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow