Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Dean Lapinel
Regular MemberPosts: 462Gear list
Like?
Need to get a second camera -810 questions
1 month ago

I have been photographer for more years than I will ever admit.  I have been using the Nikon D300 since it first came out and I still like it but it is not effective in low light as I compare my friends 610 and similar era cameras. There is actually a huge low light difference in quality.

I shoot landscape, portraits (studio & outdoors) and street photography. The D300 has done well enough that I have retired my film cameras (35mm & med format).

I am thinking about the new D810 but I don't live in a city that has one available to look at and handle. The D810 is just a bit bigger and heavier than my D300 so I don't think it should hold me back, especially if I get the cotton carrier.

My greatest concern is the issue with the shutter. I have read quite a bit about the vibrations/mirror lock causing slight blur at lower speeds. I think, if I understand this correctly this may be due in part to the weight, the shutter and made more noticeable because of the high resolution. If I am off please let me know.

I need most help in understanding this issue since there seems to be a fix with a new electronic shutter. I really can't use a camera that always needs a tripod for excellent shots so I am hoping that some of you hard users of the D800s that are well versed with the D810 changes can help.

I guess my most basic question is best posed as a comparison. I never had problems holding my Canon F1N hand held, indoor incandescent light , 400 ASA with shots at 1/30th of a sec. With my heavier med format I could only shoot at 1/60th in this same setting( again...hand held).

Is this similar to what the D810 is projected to be like with the new shutter?

Thanks for any responses. I apologize for the lengthy post but I felt the background info would help with a more accurate response for my use.

Regards,

Dean

Nikon D300 Nikon D800 Nikon D810
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow