A7R with sel10-18.. issues with long exposure shots OSS on?

Started 3 weeks ago | Discussions thread
seachicken2000
Senior MemberPosts: 2,630Gear list
Like?
Re: A7R with sel10-18.. issues with long exposure shots OSS on?
In reply to Sush15, 3 weeks ago

Sush15 wrote:

I wonder if images will be sharper even during daylight and walking around with these lens oss turned off. Some of the dusk photos still look shakey while pixel peeping. Less obvious than the night tripod shots.

At dusk I would have thought it's better to leave OSS on if you're shooting handheld. I am pretty convinced it works well.

I am suspicious of the OSS sometimes however. I believe it works by de-centering the lens, and I have some images taken in very good light with OSS, where one edge of the image is unusually soft. This is not a fault with the lens as the copy of the lens I have is typically sharp corner-to-corner in all four corners. Here's an example. The whole of the right side is soft, and the lens is at f/8 where normally it would be sharp. OSS is the only explanation I can think of.

-- hide signature --

A rose by any other name is still a chicken.
http://500px.com/seachicken

seachicken2000's gear list:seachicken2000's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Fujifilm FinePix S2 Pro Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha 7R +17 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow