Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Shmuel
Regular MemberPosts: 393
Like?
D810 for birds
3 months ago

Hi guys, I just placed an order for the 810. I am totally new to FF, coming from my previous D7100. So I have a few questions to those who also shoot birds with the 800 or 800e.

My lens for bird is the AF-s 80-400. I am definitely not going to upgrade this to the 500mm or another tele. Considering the expected advanced new features of the new 810 for birding (buffer, AF, low light etc.) plus the obvious advantage of ISO over the D7100, I have decided to make the upgrade. Still, because of the limited range of the 80-400 in FF compared to DX, I will most probably shoot in either 1.2 or 1.5 crop modes. That will result in 480 0r 600mm reach, or 670 and 840mm respectively with my 1.4TC. So far so good.

My questions:

1. will these settings affect too badly the ISO performance of the camera, especially when I need to crop in PP, which one must almost always do in bird photography? This is asked because I will need to increase the ISO up to ca. 1500 at times when using the TC on the lens (f/8).

2. Using my old (and loved) 16-85 VR in DX mode will retain its I.Q. (which I quite like very much for landscapes) as it had performed on my D7100 - or perhaps will it add to its I.Q. considering the overall better I.Q of the 810 over the D7100? Same question regarding my Nikkor 10.5 fisheye, Nikkor 35 DX and Tokina 12-24 DX.

Thanks a bunch for your good advice and patience.

-- hide signature --

Shmuel (http://pbase.com/acumedico)

Nikon D7100 Nikon D810
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow