ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
NZ Scott
Senior MemberPosts: 3,360Gear list
Like?
Anyone moved from E-P3 to GX7?
3 months ago

Hey kids,

My much-loved E-P3 (with VF-4 viewfinder and MCG-2 grip) is getting a bit long in the tooth and is starting to suffer from battle damage. Among other things, it's got muck all over the sensor and dust in the shutter mechanism (sounds like a coffee grinder when shooting ...).

I'm considering an "upgrade" and am leaning towards the GX7.

I've handled a GX7 in-store and thought it was pretty good. The only obvious negative was the viewfinder, which was inferior to the VF-4 I'm using on the E-P3.

Has anybody moved from the E-P3 to the GX7? If so, what are your impressions? Is the GX7 a much better camera, or are the improvements only incremental?

Regarding other cameras, they all seem pretty good but also have disadvantages compared with the E-P3. I've ruled out the E-M10 and E-M5 because of their ergonomics, the E-P5 because of its fixed grip, the other PENs for their minimalist controls, the E-M1 and GH4 because of their weight, and the GM1 because it's too small for my zooms.

The GX7 seems to hit the sweet spot for me, but I'm not sure if it's really all that much better than my E-P3 which is why I'm seeking comments from people who've owned both.

The Panasonic G6 is an outside contender. I once tried a G3 and thought it was plasticky, but I'm guessing matters have improved since then.

Thanks in advance for your time.

S

-- hide signature --

My Flickr stream:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/scottkmacleod/
My latest work of fiction:
https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/444160
My kit: E-P3, 12/2.0, 17/1.8, 45/1.8, 60/2.8 Macro, 7.5 Fisheye, 7-14, 12-35 f2.8, 14-42 IIR, 40-150 ED, 75-300 II

NZ Scott's gear list:NZ Scott's gear list
Sony QX1 Olympus PEN E-P3 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G II Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 +10 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
IBISNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow