Does DXO Optics turn Sony's average kit and cheap zooms into superb performers on par with Zeiss?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
40daystogo
Regular MemberPosts: 188
Like?
Does DXO Optics turn Sony's average kit and cheap zooms into superb performers on par with Zeiss?
4 months ago

From DXO's marketing literature, it claims that DXO Optics software can compensate even for corner softness, and other lens aberrations. Now, on these forums, the Sony A6000's 16-50 kit lens, and the reasonably priced 55-210 zoom get a lot of criticism. So my question is, when DXO's software tools work their magic on the RAW files from these so-so lenses, what level does it bring it up to? To the level of the Zeiss lenses? What I'm asking is, how much of a boost can be achieved by software alone, rather than spending massive bucks on expensive Zeiss lenses.

I'm asking because, in the light of Aperture's demise, I'm choosing between DXO Optics software and Phase One's Capture One software. I'm drawn to C1's selective tools, but C1 does not presently support the A6000 and presumably some of its lenses. And even when it does, I haven't heard how C1's and DXO's correction tools compare.

DxO Optics Pro Elite DxO Optics Pro Standard Phase One Capture One Express 7 Phase One Capture One Pro Sony a6000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow