Started 5 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Bbawt1
New MemberPosts: 7Gear list
Like?
D7100 sometimes can't focus
5 months ago

Hi - hoping someone can help me with a problem, one I'm sure is operator error as opposed to the camera! I'm trying to master the various focus modes and am using back button focusing which I love. Every once in awhile though when I press the back focus button, my lens seems to try to focus from one extreme to the other and just keeps going like that - spinning one direction then the other, and finally stops completely out of focus.  Then next time it might work just fine.  Seems to be both my 18-105 kit lens from my old D90 and my 70-300 but never has done it on my 50 1.8.  Can't seem to replicate it but wondering if anyone knows if this might occur more in one mode or another - I tend to shoot in aperture priority and use all 3 modes (A,S,C) and 9 point focusing - often focus and recompose style.  Any ideas why sometimes the camera/lens just can't seem to focus on anything and keeps spinning back and forth?

Bbawt1's gear list:Bbawt1's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +1 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Nikon D7100 Nikon D90
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow