Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
love_them_all
Senior MemberPosts: 2,737
Like?
Fuji 60mm macro with XE1 close focus issues
2 months ago

It seems like with the 60mm the XE1 is not willing to hunt for close focus range. Many times the focusing will come back out (towards infinity) and then stopped, showing a red rectangle. At first I thought I was too close to the subject... until one time I am on MF and turn it all the way to the closest focus pt possible. I still have lots of room to play with! The camera simply would not hunt until the closest focus distance reached. In a more "normal" shooting distance like 2ft away, the lens in is actually perfectly fine.

So when shooting near the 1:2 range I would need to set it to MF, move the camera to get the proper focus range like an old MF macro lens. Then I could set it back to AF and do some fine and quick AF. However, this is better done with a still subject and a tripod. The beauty of an AF macro lens is supposed to be the ability to do handheld macro quickly.

I bought this lens earlier this year when it was on the instant rebate. Great value, very sharp. Then out of the blue I have decided I should pick up the Canon 100L macro as well. Turns out the Canon is worth every penny and works great in all ranges. In terms of sharpness in macro range I think both lenses are about the same (just by shooting the same subject with two camera setups. I didn't shoot a chart to compare corner sharpness).

Not sure if this issue can be fixed by another FW update. Nonetheless this is a great lens because it is so compact. Just make sure to put the hood on if you are shooting thru a glass window or something. The lens would protrude out and hit the window!

Now that this lens is back to its normal price, I would suggest the macro people look into these issues before buying this lens, especially it is not a 1:1 lens.

Fujifilm X-E1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow