Becoming interested in DF, using old AF lenses, good or bad?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
dog house riley
Regular MemberPosts: 164Gear list
Like?
Becoming interested in DF, using old AF lenses, good or bad?
2 months ago

Hey folks;

I've been reading on the DF, and I'm more drawn to it than the 610 or new 810,why you may ask? money? right now my most used "kit" is my D700 and a assortment of Nikon lenses, my most used kit for outings is a Nikon 20 35 2.8, can't justify the 17 35 and I have a Tokina 17 3.5 if needed, then my 50 1.4 G and 85 1.8 G lenses and a Nikon 70 210D lense,I quit using my 70 300 VR much, I don't need the 300 part and its bulky, the 70 210 is compact and it goes to 200, and I'm fine with it, this comprises my day to day set up with the D700.

So, if I was to upgrade my D700 to a DF, would the 16MPX sensor handle the older old screw drive lenses? quality, I know they would work just fine. I cannot do both upgrade both camera and newer lenses, if the DF is too much or a waste of the sensor, i'll stick with my current system, I just don't have the funds to get a high MPX body [610 and 810] and the latest AFS lenses, besides with a D810, I'd most likely have to replace my 3 year old MAC, and thats strictly out of the question.

My current "kit" gives me plenty of pleasure, its not out of NEED, I'm looking at the DF, its the older camera looks and I just like it.

So! in your opinion, if I sold my D700 and bought the DF with my older lenses could I still see improvement in picture quality? I don't do low light much anymore, and to play with wildlife I have my D2X, and 400 3.5 Nikon, I'd spend much time walking and hand holding, people and fests, and street photos.

I appreciate a lot of folks on DP and their opinion, I'm still studying this, I've looked into the Nikon 1 system and just not warmed up to it, and I guess I've owned Nikon for so long[25years] I don't pay much attention to other brands, so only Nikon equipment "tugs on my chain"

"dog house riley"

dog house riley's gear list:dog house riley's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon D2X Nikon D200 Nikon D700 Canon EOS 100D +9 more
Nikon D2X Nikon D700 Nikon D810 Nikon Df
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow