Started 1 month ago | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
M Colyer
Regular MemberPosts: 251Gear list
Like?
First impressions
1 month ago

The Internet suggested this lens, albeit a kit lens, was pretty sharp but maybe not as sharp as the more expensive 18-55 lens. First tried it out on a grey sky day of which we get quite a lot in the UK. Was not impressed. Lot of corner unsharpness! X-E1 was set to -2 sharpness, -2 noise reduction as I like to use software to do the sharpening etc. My Panasonic 14-45 on my Olympus EM5 body knocks spots off this. However had a Canon 40D once where the default sharpness was pretty poor i.e. crap and you simply had to wind up the sharpness in Lightroom. With the Fuji lens had to set LR sharpness to +70 and things were much better. What finally fixed it was to shoot in sunlight. OK so this is definitely not a fast lens. But we knew this, didn't we?

If you have the choice go for the 18-55 f2.8 etc. I went for the el cheapo because I wanted to get into the Fuji system which I did and it was what the affordable camera package provided. Better lenses can be bought later.

Overall, not unhappy, simply yearning for better.

M Colyer's gear list:M Colyer's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS7 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Fujifilm X-E1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +5 more
M Colyer's score
Average community score
Canon EOS 40D Fujifilm XC 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 OIS Fujifilm X-E1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow