Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
QuestionMark
New MemberPosts: 7Gear list
Like?
1 Lens for D800
2 months ago

I'll try to keep it short, but I really could do with some help. First time posting so hope I have the right place and level of detail.

I am about to buy a D800 and have spent ages looking at lenses.

The problem is that I can only afford one new lens (at the same time as buying the camera) and I really don't know the direction to go in.

I started by looking at the Nikon af-s 28-300 f3.5-5.6 as this would cover most of my needs, but whilst many say it is great, there are plenty that say it does not do justice to the D800. I really do not want to be disappointed post investment!

I have also looked at the Tamron 24-70 f2.8 which gets plenty of good reviews and seems to be a lens that would get me going in the right direction. But with this lens alone I am devoid of any further reach for quite a long time

I currently own a D7100 (with kit 18-105), and could probably use my DX 55-300 cropped as an infill until the kit kitty grows enough to get a good 70-200 f2.8 or something similar. Would that work?

I like a wide range of photography - macro (for which I have an older manual Nikon lens inverted and Tamron 90mm prime macro), landscapes (sigma 10-20) and general walk around stuff (kit or 55-300). I also have a Nikon 50mm prime, but I have mainly used that inverted with the 90mm for macro. I am just a keen amateur.

Any bright ideas really welcome - What would you do?

QuestionMark's gear list:QuestionMark's gear list
Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro +3 more
ANSWER:
Nikon D7100 Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow