Cool birds in the Heat - BIFs & turtles too (A6000, 55-210)

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
zackiedawg
Forum ProPosts: 22,029Gear list
Like?
Cool birds in the Heat - BIFs & turtles too (A6000, 55-210)
5 months ago

Some more Florida wetlands summer action from the A6000 & 55-210mm plus DH1758 combo - picking up where my last thread left off with more cool birds standing around, some flying about, and a few turtles tossed in just for variety!  Bits of sun, bits of overcast, ridiculous sweat-oven heat and humidity, and threat of rain every day keep things a little more difficult down here on my weekend summer shoots, but it's better than staying at home!

A green heron puffing himself all up as I approach - a pompadour rock-and-roll look, either to look cool, or try to look more tough to scare me off.  It didn't work, but I did think he looked cool!

A least bittern down low and stalking across the dead reeds - you can get a sense how his colors and pattern blend in very well in these environs!

Three turtles lining up on a log.  It's funny to watch these guys - they'll sometimes line up 5 or 6 turtles, with each one of them moving up one turtle-length when a new guy comes to the base of the trunk and wants to join the line...the top turtle can sometimes be a good 5 or 6 feet off the water!

Big guy, flying low on approach - a great blue heron at full spread as he approaches his nesting tree

As he gets closer, he starts pulling the wings in, lowering the flaps to slow down, and hits is landing mark fast and confident

Cattle egret flying across the grey skies - providing plenty of his own color!

Tricolor heron flying straight at me and overhead

I always love watching the wee little least terns go through their hunting routine - they fly fast and erratic high over the water, constantly on the lookout, then when they spot something below, they move directly overhead, swivel straight down into a dive, and knife into the water at full speed after a fish

You can see the grey skies were messing with me - bad light, and shooting into what little light there was - not the best of conditions, but you take what you can get!

Another of the lovely and colorful purple gallinule, tight-rope-walking on a thin reed

Comments, questions, critique welcomed as always.

-- hide signature --

Justin
galleries: www.pbase.com/zackiedawg

zackiedawg's gear list:zackiedawg's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A580 Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony a6000 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake +24 more
Sony a6000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Ron,New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow