Please help me choose between Capture One vs DXO Optics Pro

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
Eamon Hickey
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,170
Like?
Re: Please help me choose between Capture One vs DXO Optics Pro
In reply to 40daystogo, 6 months ago

40daystogo wrote:

Can these xmp side car files be imported into other RAW editors such as Phase One and DXO, and useable, i.e. does the xmp information translate into identical images in other RAW editors? I couldn't imagine that happening? If so, it seems to be more a backup feature of LR, rather than something for moving between software.

No, the edit information stored in the XMP files will not translate to C1 or DXO -- they don't have the same editing tools. The edit information in the XMP files is there for Adobe Camera Raw, which can use it to produce an identical edited file. In other words, the feature exists to allow you to duplicate your Lightroom edits when you open the same raw file in Photoshop.

Note that other information in the XMP file -- IPTC data, most notably -- does transfer to any IPTC compliant application, so your keywords, captions, ratings etc. entered in Lightroom would be transferrable to other apps, not just to Photoshop. (Most cataloging apps are compliant with this standard; Lightroom is not unique in this way.)

Others have pointed this out, but I'll just reinforce it: if you are already saving out TIFFs or JPEGs of all your edited images to preserve the longevity of the data (not a bad idea at all), there's no reason you can't do that also with any parametric editor: Lightroom, Aperture, C1 Pro et. al., doesn't matter. All of them make it easy to export edited TIFFs or JPEGs and then import the TIFFs or JPEGs back into your catalog.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow