How much have micro 4/3 cameras improved for action shooting?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
alcelc
Contributing MemberPosts: 832Gear list
Like?
Re: How much have micro 4/3 cameras improved for action shooting?
In reply to danieladougan, 4 months ago

danieladougan wrote:

I'm a hobbyist just starting to learn a little more serious photography. I've built a kit over the past few months, mostly with used equipment that is fully functional. But I've noticed some real focus accuracy problems, especially (but not just) with action.

I know micro 4/3 is not ideal for action shooting, but I only do it occasionally and I value the compactness and affordability of the system for everything else.

So here's what I currently have:

• Olympus Pen E-PL1 body
  • Panasonic 14-42mm f3.5-5.6
  • Panasonic Leica Summilux 25mm f1.4
  • Olympus 45mm f1.8
  • Olympus 40-150mm f4.0-5.6

I also have a Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX5V that I use as a spare "take it everywhere" camera. It's pretty decent for a point-and-shoot/bridge camera.

So anyway, I was wondering if upgrading to a more recent body (say the E-PL5) would make a real difference in the number of "keeper" shots I get. I'm not into pixel peeping, but I know when an image is ruined at ANY size by autofocus errors. I don't use the 14-42mm very often at all, but I use all of the other lenses frequently. The Oly 40-150 is the most prone to autofocus errors and the one I am most likely to use for shooting action due to the focal length.

I don't really feel like throwing down $1300 for the Panasonic 35-100mm f2.8 lens or the upcoming Olympus 45-150mm f2.8. Spending about the same amount of coin for an OM-D E-M1 doesn't sound too appealing either. But I did find someone selling his E-PL5 used for $260, plus I could sell off my E-PL1 to pay for part of the cost of upgrading.

Is this a good idea? Is it that significant of an upgrade to go from E-PL1 to E-PL5?

Are you talking about OOF due to slow AF? What sort of action shooting that you always do? Why not post a few of your pictures which may represent your normal way of shooting that you are not satisfied.

From there, it may narrow down the root of the problem and let the good fellow forum members here to advise....

alcelc's gear list:alcelc's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
EVFNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow