How much have micro 4/3 cameras improved for action shooting?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
SmoothGlass
Contributing MemberPosts: 833
Like?
Re: How much have micro 4/3 cameras improved for action shooting?
In reply to rockygag, 4 months ago

rockygag wrote:

"When I picked up the Nikon D4S to shoot with it for awhile, I noticed something else that seemed very odd. I was seemingly better at predicting the action with the D4S -- I was catching more peak moments. My strong sense is that the electronic viewfinder of the A6000, with its slight delay, was causing me to react late when the ball was passed and the action shifted. The optical viewfinder of the D4S has no equivalent delay, but on the other hand, the camera does blackout the viewfinder briefly for every frame. Whatever the precise cause, there was no question that I was slightly, but noticeably, faster at following changing action with the D4S. It's of no real concern to me overall, but if shooting sports for money was in my game plan (it's not), this would drop the A6000 off my shopping list.

The OP is already struggling to pay for a used EPL-5, and yet we want to compare it to a D4S... not very sage advice to the OP.

Reminds me of some computer coding documentation out of Redmond. Absolutely correct, but totally useless.

How does the D3300 with a tunnel viewfinder and a way different focusing module compare to a used OM-D? I've never used that model Nikon, so I cannot comment, but my D300 was sold when I replaced it with the OM-D (5)

Much more on topic to comment on something in budget.

Dave

I think you're missing the point. The point is not to compare vs D4S but to highlight that EVFs haven't caught up with OVFs in terms of lag, and to let OP know to take with a grain of salt the videos online talking up the EM1/GH4/A6000 autofocus like the Camera Store Youtube video I was responding to. Whether a D4s or the lowliest Canon Rebel, OVFs do not have EVF lag.

I am a HUGE fan of EVFs and will probably NEVER go back to DSLRs not because of size/weight, but because I love EVFs and the possibilities they unlock (slow live view on DSLRs doesn't cut it). And yet I can admit that EVFs haven't quite caught up with OVFs yet in terms of viewfinder lag.

To be clear, single-shot autofocus is already lightning fast on any of the recent Oly bodies, that isn't the issue. AF-C tracking moving objects erratically moving is the larger issue, that and EVF lag.

It's not just Imaging Resource saying this, either, look at pro photographers who have compared like Thom Hogan. I'm hoping the successor to the EM1 will have ~D7000 autofocus performance. At that point I hope to see the floodgates open with a much higher exodus rate away from DSLRs towards mirrorless.

OP: Yeah the E-PL5 should be faster at autofocusing than your aging camera, but the real step up is to the E-M1, which has good AF just a notch below a D7000 or so. As it stands, the poor man's alternative to the EM1 is to take a bunch of single-shot AF shots rather than use AF-C. Or to pre-focus if possible.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
EVFNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow