Alaska Trip -- what equipment to bring? Advice wanted.

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
momoftwins
Regular MemberPosts: 236
Like?
Alaska Trip -- what equipment to bring? Advice wanted.
1 month ago

My Alaska trip is around the corner. I'm so thrilled for my husband to see what all the hype is about. I loved Alaska 2 years ago. We are going on a cruise from Vancouver to Seward (stops in Juneau, Ketchikan, Icy Straight Point, and Skagway) - then onto Denali and Fairbanks at the end.
If you have been to Alaska (and/or photograph nature and wildlife), please weigh in on my equipment decisions. Tell me if this makes sense or what I am missing.  I am normally a portrait photographer - nature and wildlife is something I am working on improving now:
Camera 1: Canon 5D MKIII - Using this camera solely for wildlife (I even have a raincoat for it)

Lenses: Canon 70-200 2.8 IS II, 1.4x extender, 2.0x extender.

-- hide signature --

> Alternate options - I could bring the Tamron 150-600 in lieu of the Canon with extenders.

---> Flash... I have a 580ex II and a better beamer I just got for bird photography. Would you bring it or deal with existing light to keep the weight and size down? It makes the set up HUGE.

---> Stability options: Monopod, Tripod, neither. I mostly shoot hand held, and on a boat tripods aren't that useful IMO. Monopods can be. Thoughts?

Camera 2: Olympus OMD EM1 M4/3 which is weather sealed - I plan to use this camera primarily for landscape and scenery.

Lenses: Olympus 12-40 2.8 Pro lens (24-80 equiv length -- this is weather sealed)

---> Options: since these lenses are light, I can bring a few more too. I have the following to choose from. Would you add any others in?

- Olympus 75-300 (150-600 equiv - good second wildlife lens for still subjects

- Olympus 45mm 1.8 (90 equiv),

- Olympus 60 2.8 macro (120 equiv),

- Olympus 75mm 1.8 (150 equiv).

- may have the Tamron 14-150 (28-300 equiv) - Tamron is sending one to me - just not sure if it will be here on time.

Tell me if you were going, and you were out all day touring, on buses, whale watches, floatplanes, etc, what would you do as a balance between getting great shots and not being overly weighed down.

Thanks!
OH, and tell me if there is some essential I am forgetting - that I should run and buy early this week.

Jodi

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow