Aperture ending - blessing in disguise?

Started Jun 29, 2014 | Discussions thread
Cogset
Senior MemberPosts: 1,316Gear list
Like?
Re: Aperture ending - blessing in disguise?
In reply to limbonaut, Jun 29, 2014

I'm processing my first big job in LR having dabbled in it until now and having been an Aperture user since day 1.

Things that I can't do in LR (correct me if I'm wrong please, I'm a semi new user to LR). This is not meant to be an end-all, be-all analysis, just some impressions so far:

• I can't duplicate adjustments, e.g. I often dupe the curves adjustment and have two -  I can in Aperture.  In Aperture, any adjustment could be duplicated and used again. For instance you could have 5 or 6 curves adjustments if you like, and they could be full image or local adjustments.
  • I can't use the brush tool on any adjustment, only in the set of adjustments offered in the loacl adjustments area. In Aperture I could use the brush anywhere (except in the raw adjustments panel)
  • Aperture had a nice skin smoothing tool, in LR I've been using negative clarity and negative sharpness, brushed on, to approximate the same thing.  I think this is probably the best way, not sure.
  • Blur tool. LR equiv is what, negative sharpening?
  • color panel has no eye-dropper to select a color form the image itself.

What I like about LR so far

• perspective correction (didn't exist in Aperture)
  • split toning adjustment
  • clarity adjustment is nice
  • sharpening is better
  • noise reduction is better

What I don't like so far:

• speed, it's slower on my Mac for sure
  • in color adjustments, there's no eye-dropper to select a color from image (as stated above)
  • inability to duplicate adjustments
  • inability to brush on curves adjustment
  • the "Library" vs "Develop" thing. Aperture was much cleaner and less kludgy here
  • overall interface, LR seems "designed by committee" , kind of a swiss-army knife approach.... vs Aperture's more thoughtful and efficient design. I may change my opinion on this as time goes on with more experience.
  • the email image function doesn't use the native (Mac in my case) email app.

Capture One Pro is another one to evaluate. I have it and generally like it (the adjustment layers are very, very nice) but I think it needs a version 8 to include better integration with 3rd party tools and things like email and such.

-- hide signature --
 Cogset's gear list:Cogset's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Nikon D4s Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +17 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow