ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Rod McD
Senior MemberPosts: 2,507Gear list
Like?
Canon G series lens cover scratches
5 months ago

Hi,

There have been many threads about G series lens covers scratching the front element.  I've occasionally checked for this when it was raised by other posters but had so far found no damage on my own cameras.  I was horrified the other day to discover that my G12 now has lens cover scratches.  I suspect that they're designed close to the front element to keep the lens barrel small.  No doubt they're made to tight tolerances, but perhaps after a few years, wear of the mechanism introduces some play that allows them to touch the lens.  In any case, whatever the cause, mine now has some scratches. It's well out of warranty, so there's nothing I can do about it but take it on the chin.  Canon need to ensure that this doesn't keep recurring as models get older.

Thank goodness my G1X (original) has a separate lens cap.    (I keep the 58mm filter adapter on it with a protective filter and a DSLR lens cap).  For all the complaints about not having an auto-lens cover, there is at least the benefit that the cap can't scratch the lens.

If I had a G1X Mark II with its large multi-blade built in lens cover, I'd be watching them very carefully indeed.  The bigger the cover, the greater the potential impact of wear.  Now that Canon has headed into $1K territory with their flagship Powershot, it's too much money to put up with a design problem that only makes its presence known later in the life of the camera.

Cheers, Rod

Rod McD's gear list:Rod McD's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Canon PowerShot G1 X Voigtlander 90mm F3.5 APO-Lanthar SL II Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R +4 more
Canon PowerShot G12
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow