Started 3 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Rufu
Regular MemberPosts: 103
Like?
DP Q/M versus Sony a6000
3 weeks ago

I'm presently considering these cameras, and I want to share the stark difference in specs that I see between the DP cameras and Sony's popular a6000.

The a6000 is a well liked camera and considered an unusually good deal. It's 24 megapixels, which is 20% fewer pixels than the DPxM's effective 30MP Bayer equivalency (15x2) and 40% less than the DPxQ's effective 39MP.

The DP's and the a6000 cameras all weigh roughly the same and are roughly the same size. The Sony is sold at Sony's retail stores and in big box stores; the Sigma is very hard to find in retail in the USA.

The a6000 is $800 with a just-OK kit zoom lens, so that price is 14% more than the $700 price tag of the DP1M and DP2M, and 23% more than the $650 DP3M but 20% cheaper than the $1000 Quattro.

The a6000 has the following benefits over the DP line:

• Far better in low light.
  • Kit zoom lens that covers the 16 to 50mm range.
  • Interchangeable lens therefore room for (albeit expensive) improvement.
  • Super-fast focus.
  • 300+ shots per battery.
  • Electronic viewfinder.
  • It has a non-slippery grip area unlike the DPxM.
  • Unlike DPxM, it has a external shutter release option.
  • Movie mode, wifi, NFC -- I'd never use those.

The downsides of the a6000 are:

• Because of the Bayer sensor, it's effectively a 12MP camera for mainly-green photos, and a 6MP camera for mainly-red & mainly-blue photos.
  • Nobody seems to know the bit depth i.e. the analog to digital converters' output width.
  • The SD write LED is on the bottom of the camera.

Conclusion:

It appears that if I care about the photos (that's what a camera is for, right?) and I can avoid low-light including shadows, then the DPxM will suffice, even as a handheld walk around camera since I don't feverishly take 100 shots in 10 minutes-- I take my time.

Hmm... if only Sony and Sigma would collaborate on a camera, combining the good parts of the a6000 and the good parts of the DP cameras. That would be a game changer.

Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP2 Merrill Sigma DP3 Merrill Sony a6000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow