Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Florida Nature Photographer
Senior MemberPosts: 4,010Gear list
Like?
E-M1 - Road trip from heck - Photo ideas requested
1 month ago

So I need some suggestions. I’m counting on my E-M1 to keep me sane and so far I’m losing the battle.

A bit of background is in order to help you understand my predicament.

My sisters family and I planned a trip to Wisconsin this week for multiple reasons including getting my Mom’s condo ready for sale so she can move into and assisted living community.

I was going to fly but they were going to drive so he could take all of his tools with him in their van.

About six weeks before our scheduled departure my brother-in-law called me and said that my sister had a surprise planned for me and I would probably be glad if I drove up with them in the van. I decided to give it a try since it would also save me some money. I expected my share of the gas to be about half what a plane flight would be. This is an 1800 plus mile drive.

About two weeks later I had reason to visit them and they had another surprise. They had purchased a large used RV. I knew instantly that this would affect my share of the gas but at least it would be more trouble driving.

I learned that it got six miles to the gallon which meant my share of the gas would now be more than the plane ticket I was going to buy.

As the weeks went by they took “practice” camping trips to get familiar with the new fifteen year old RV. The power steering failed. The power breaks failed. There were various other creature comfort devices that weren’t functioning properly.

A week before the trip I learned that the generator broke which, if not fixed, would mean no A/C for our long summer drive. Two days before the trip I learned the part to fix it wouldn’t arrive in time.

I seriously considered backing out but the price of flying had gone up significantly and I was concerned that my sister and niece may need my assistance while my brother-in-law fixed the RV during a break down. This trip requires driving through the mountains.. And my sister and niece made a last minute decision to stay and extra week and fly back home. This would leave my brother-in-law driving back home alone. He planned to make the trip straight through so he could get back in time to go to work.

Sooo… much to my chagrin I felted trapped. We made it exactly 64 miles before the first break down. We had planned to drive through the night but the mechanic wouldn’t be coming until 7:30am so we spent a mostly sleepless night, sweating in the stalled RV.

The mechanic arrived on time and had us underway in about an hour.

As I type this we are stuck in a traffic jam.

Because of the delay we had to skip the surprise my sister had planned for me. We have not yet reached the location and we planned to be there at 8am this morning. It is 3pm as I write.

So as I sit here sweating. Yes I’m sitting in an RV typing and I’m sweating. I am and have been trying to make the most of this debacle by taking some creative photos while we drive. I was thinking I might get some cool effects with speeding cars and such.

I had planned to post this earlier along with a few photos I’d taken but none seemed worthy of your eyes.

Photo idea suggestions welcome. Discussion of my plight is not discouraged either. I have some time to kill and anything to take my mind off the sticky conditions is welcome.

Florida Nature Photographer's gear list:Florida Nature Photographer's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Topaz Adjust +3 more
Olympus E-M1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow