Just got my new sel1670z - overall happy but...

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
gkstar
Regular MemberPosts: 229Gear list
Like?
Just got my new sel1670z - overall happy but...
3 months ago

Just managed to snatch one of the two lenses that came in a local store here in Ottawa. The lens is not only OOS in most of Canada (called quite a few on-line places) but is heavily backordered at the Sony warehouse. Not sure what is causing this - very low production and/or popularity.

I love the focal range, feel, size, weight, build quality and IQ. As noted by many, there is some corner softness when wide open, which varies as you zoom. It is most pronounced at around 50mm, wide open.

Overall happy with the lens BUT... I did a careful decentering test and there is decentering for sure. So here is my dilema.

Option 1: Return the lens (15 day return) and wait over a month for a new copy, though I am traveling to Europe in less than a month and would like to have it there.

Option 2: Send it to Sony for service and hope they will fix it, though exchange may not be possible as they likely have no stock either. If they could not fix it though, by the time lens comes back from service, the 15 day return period may expire, so I would be stick so to speak (even though Sony can exchange it later on but I will be at their mercy).

Any related axpereince with Sony Canada? BTW, buying from US is not an option for me at the moment (due to the price I negotiated and local warranty).

Here is a random snap (w/ Nex7) which makes me like the lens (not intended to show decentering). The pixel level quality I see locally is btw much better than viewing the original at 1:1 or using the Loupe on this site, not sure if I did something wrong while uploading:

gkstar's gear list:gkstar's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony a6000 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 OSS LE Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS +1 more
Sony Alpha NEX-7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow