Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
ZinMe
Contributing MemberPosts: 710Gear list
Like?
Is the D810 a good sports camera?
6 months ago

I shoot 50% sports, but don't shoot enough to justify a D3s/D4 setup on top of a general purpose camera.   I tried a D800 for a weekend shooting baseball earlier this year, with a grip.   I liked the format flexibilty to change from FX to 1.2 and 1.5 crop modes using my 300 f2.8 the whole time.   The dynamic range and sensor qualities were very good.

I had a hard time with focus and sharpness.  It seemed to take longer to acquire focus than my D300 and a noticeably larger % of my shots were not sharp.   I was using a sturdy monopod and good technique, but at that higher lieve of pixel density perhaps movement during shooting is a bigger issue.   FPS wasn't great but its acceptable.     The new D810 appears to address some of these drawbacks.

So my questions about the D810 before I shell out $3.3k are:

1. Is the new AF system substantially better to improve the keeper rate for sports?
  2. Is the concept of using high pixel density for sports flawed from the start because of the un-achievable requirement of super high camera stability with long lenses and moving subjects?   
 ZinMe's gear list:ZinMe's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Nikon D300 Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G ED-IF +8 more
Nikon D300 Nikon D3S Nikon D800 Nikon D810
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow