Escape from iPhoto/Aperture: preserving metadata?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
debunix
Senior MemberPosts: 1,980
Like?
Escape from iPhoto/Aperture: preserving metadata?
1 month ago

I've long been using referenced libraries in iPhoto, on the assumption that jpg and tif and psd readers will be around a lot longer than iPhoto and Macs. I was recently reviewing my image storage options and got interested in Aperture because of the possibility of preserving my metadata (titles, descriptions, keywords) on export as well as the ability to manage a large library. No way am I going to go any deeper in now with both being dumped in favor of an ever more iOS-like (presumably dumbed down) 'Photos' app, and another push to the bleeping cloud.

I just was reminded that iPhoto can export images and add metadata, but have a couple of problems, and would like to know if Aperture has different export options that would get around these issues, which might make it worth buying simply to run all of my photos through it to extract & preserve that data outside of the Apple infrastructure. Or are there 3rd party apps to do this?

(1) NEF

s can be exported as PNGs, but without metadata--not interested. But a 10MB NEF exported as a TIF with description and keyword balloons to 36MB.

(2) A Photoshopped high quality full-size jpg of the same file goes from 3MB to 30MB as a TIF to keep the metadata and not risk recompression errors in exporting as jpg. Huge storage hit. Is there any way to more precisely control export to keep the same 'quality' and title and tags, essentially equivalent to CURRENT + title/description/tags, so that I don't recompress on export?

(3) Plus if I export with title, I have to figure out a way to add the original filename to the metadata (likely manually adding image by image as a keyword) so that I can use a keyword and not time-based strategy to associate DEB_3629.NEF with the current jpeg processed from it, e.g., the iPhoto titled "Diane's sunflower" that still retains it's filename as a separate searchable bit of data [DEB_3629 copy.jpg].

-- hide signature --
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow