Started 4 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Steve W
Regular MemberPosts: 304Gear list
Like?
XF 55-200 for Macro Work with Flowers
4 weeks ago

I purchase the XF 55-200mm f/3.5-5.6 IS lens when it first came out but have struggled to like it. First I had it on my X-E1 but it just seemed to focus slow. Upgraded to the X-E2 and it did become more usable but for every thing that I wanted to shoot with a telephoto I just kept falling back to Canon 5D III and 70-200mm f/2.8L II with IS. Not because it was faster but because the setup was so much more responsive even if it was heavier. Of course when traveling I still took the Fuji setup for its small size but took only a few pictures that required a telephoto.

Well this past week I think I finally found the sweet spot for me with this lens. Its taking pictures of flowers. Both the XF 60mm ( which I previously owned )  and the Zeiss 50mm have too short a working distance for flowers in my opinion. From my use of my Canon 100mm w/ IS and 180mm macros I learned I prefer the longer focal length. Problem was I also really liked having stabilization for those times when I was walking in a garden or out and about. So I split duty between the two depending on the location.

Well enter the XF 55-200 with IS and an equivalent focal length of 82-300. At about the focal length were it goes to f/4.8 I'm starting to get great flower shots. Who knew? While there are times I might like a little less DOF I think I can make this work. I'm now using it on my X-T1 that I added and with its grip and new L- bracket it balances well.

A lot of people have asked for a 90 mm macro and I understand why. Personally I'm thinking the new 55-140 f/2.8 IS maybe my ultimate solution if it's not too big. Only time will tell. Until then I'm now happier owning this lens than I was a few weeks back. Be really interested to understand what others are doing for flowers. Are you using this lens? Look forward to hearing from you. Thanks for your time.

Steve

Steve W's gear list:Steve W's gear list
Canon PowerShot G11 Canon EOS-1D X Canon EOS 5D Mark III Fujifilm X-E2 Sony Alpha 7R +28 more
Canon EOS 5D Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-T1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow