Started 4 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Microshooter
Contributing MemberPosts: 868Gear list
Like?
1 Nikon 70-300VR with or without Foot??
4 months ago

What is the opinion of everyone about using the "foot" on the new 1 Nikon 70-300VR CX?? Now, I would have never mounted my V2 with the FT-1 and 70-300VR FX lens on my tripod without mounting it on the FT-1 mounting screw. But for the new 70-300VR CX it seems to me that the lens weight is only slightly over the weight limit of the camera lens mount and Nikon does not officially warn against NOT using the foot...their only comment to me in an e-mail reply is that if I am concerned about the weight I CAN use/buy (at $80) the optional foot and attach the camera/lens combo via the lens foot.

So...being that the lens is only slightly over the lens mount weight limit, do you think it is worth using the foot?

I don't like handling the camera/lens combo with the foot attached. Just me, but the foot gets slightly in the way and frankly I don't think it is necessary. But do you think ...aside from the weight issue...that there is a more balanced/firm mount to reduce vibration when shooting straight out from the lens and not pointed down at any angle like for macro shots for example. Shooting wildlife with the combo almost level with the horizon seems like a very doable and effective method.

Thoughts??

PS: On a different note... I was looking for a more compact/capable tripod to go with the V2. I looked at MeFoto about $140, Sirui T005x about $130 and a Dolica TX570B150DS about $100. I read as many reviews as I could find (including videos) and decided on the Dolica when I found it at Costco for under $50 shipped free. Got the Dolica yesterday and it seems like it will work fine with the V series and is very compact. It is 2.5 lbs and 12.5 incles with the legs reversed.

The Dolica is not as well built and sturdy as my other 2 tripods for my D800 (heavy and medium duty) but as my light weight option I think it's perfect (price/functionality/quality) but I don't ever plan to use it with the D800!!! Just for the V2.

It nice, compact, no creep in the head and it's 57 inches at full height with a padded carry bag. If you are thinking about a very inexpensive tripod that should do the trick you might research the Dolica and get it at COSTCO before their sale ends on/or about July 7th. It's $49.95 with free shipping, 5 year warranty and easy returns at any COSTCO. A no-brainer for me.

Microshooter's gear list:Microshooter's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX400V Nikon D800 Nikon 1 V2 Nikon AF Nikkor 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5D IF ED Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +9 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Nikon 1 V2 Nikon D800 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-TX5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow