Started 4 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
0MitchAG
Regular MemberPosts: 198Gear list
Like?
14mm 2.5 or 14-42 II?
4 weeks ago

I am looking to buy a lens that is better for landscapes and urban shooting than the mediocre 14-42 that came with my G5. I am presented with the possibility of getting either lens for under $200 and I would prefer to get the zoom over the prime so I don't lose the versatility of my kit.

I suspected that the prime would offer better performance in most areas, but it seems the opposite is true, and full res sample images have mostly always been mushy or just disappointing at the edges. I would even say that centre sharpness isn't an improvement on my kit lens. I've seen good and bad images from all lenses but the 14-42 ii samples I've seen offer impressive performance over the entire range.

The form factor is irrelevant; I just want the best IQ. My conclusions from browsing online are that the zoom is simply better, a lot better in fact, from centre to edge over the 14mm pancake but I find it hard to believe a prime can be so disappointing. Can you show me some good examples from the 14mm, or perhaps compare the 2 directly?

Thank you.

0MitchAG's gear list:0MitchAG's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +2 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow