Aperture’s Demise – The Dark Cloud – Think before you act!

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Richard Weisgrau
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,010
Like?
Aperture’s Demise – The Dark Cloud – Think before you act!
2 months ago

When Apple released Aperture in 2005 I was given a Not For Resale copy by Apple to evaluate with the hope that I would write about it. Back then I had articles in Communications Arts, other magazines, and on several major photography websites. At that time I was using Adobe Bridge and Photoshop for my workflow. Bridge was (to me) a bumpy road, and Photoshop was overkill as I did not need to so half of what it could do. When I got my initial copy of Aperture v.1 I was ecstatic. It made Bridge look like a muddy country road. It’s non destructive processing made PS Layers unnecessary for me. It just made post image capture editing and processing easy without sacrificing quality. I have been using aperture ever since.

Adobe released a beta version of Lightroom some months later. In 2007 Adobe released the first final version of Lightroom. I tried it, and I found no advantage over Aperture. In 2010 I tried Lightroom again. It was much improved, but I did not like the controls and interface and stayed with Aperture. I know that Lightroom has now been developed into product superior to Aperture in some ways. However, for me that means nothing because I can do everything I need to do with Aperture and a few plug-ins.

Today’s news that Aperture is headed for the grave at first caused me some worry. I have 8 years of images in Aperture Libraries. Of course, it was obvious that Apple would make those libraries easily transferable to its new Photos for OSX. Since RAW translators are part of the Apple OS and not Aperture, camera updates will continue uninterrupted. Since Photos for OSX will be available this fall, there is no significant loss in what might have been prospective Aperture development. So continuing to use Aperture until Photos for OSX can be evaluated has no real downside. Changing to Lightroom now could have a downside. That would be an endless payment stream for using Lightroom. Don’t delude yourselves. Once enough people buy into the subscription service the price will go up. Adobe and Apple know that people will pay more to avoid a change. They also know a if person buys into Creative Cloud or iCloud they are likely to stay to avoid the hassle of change. That is why they now link there software to the cloud. The cloud is the company store. You are locked in unless you pay the price in time and storage to get out.

Apple indicated that it would replace Aperture and iPhoto with Photos for OSX. Obviously that means that Photos for OSX will be at lease an equivalent of Aperture. Apple does not want to make new product that is inferior to older product. Here is a case on point.

I serve as the unpaid executive director of Senior Artists Initiative. We do a series of video interviews of Philadelphia (PA) visual artists. I edit those videos. At first I did the editing in iMovie, which was not adequate. I then went to Final Cut Express. Final Cut Pro would have been overkill for what I have to do. Apple stopped developing Express and beefed up iMovie. I can now do everything I did in Final Cut Express in iMovie.

Will we be able to do everything we did in Aperture in Photos for OSX? I think we will, and I think we will be able to do more. We will also have cross device consistency. For me, an iPhone, iPad, Mac Book, and iMac that is appealing. So, I will wait and see what Apple’s new OS/IOS will do. If it fails I will likely have to become an Adobe Lightroom user. However, based upon being a Mac user since 1995, I don’t see that happening.

I have avoided Apple’s iCloud because I could not see an overarching strategy in place. OS Yosemite, and its inclusion of iCloud and Photos for OSX, seems to be a strategic move that makes sense. It is making the operating system of all Apple devices better coordinated, and it is making the Cloud more appealing by doing that. It just might be that OSX Yosemite is not a rain cloud, but is a bright white cloud.

-- hide signature --

Richard Weisgrau
www.drawnwithlight.com

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow