Like?
Re: S. Africa Safari Camera Decisions - Sony NEX-6/RX10/RX100
In reply to vndrsmth, 6 months ago

Here's the final lineup:

-RX10

-RX100

-HX400V

-Action Cam

Since it doesn't take up too much more room to carry another super zoom I added the HX400V for some of the longer distance shots on Safari and also to help geotag a lot of the locations.

It also takes the same batteries as the RX100/Action Cam so no real extra weight.

As a side, I've been playing with all three side by side here's some findings:

Best Photos: RX10 hands down

Lowlight: RX10 > HX400V > NEX-6

Biggest Zoom: HX400V (50x or 1600mm equivalent)

Best EVF: RX10 > NEX-6 > HX400V

The lowlight comparisons really blew me away. Even though the NEX-6 has 99 AF points I simply cannot get it to focus at full zoom in lowlight. I've been testing this with my dogs in my backyard at dusk and the RX10/HX400 combo is winning. From off to on I can snap a close up of them at 25 yards in about 2 seconds. With the NEX-6 (18-200 or 55-210) it takes about 4 seconds just to focus and gets blurry regardless of shooting mode.

We're departing for Dubai on Sunday, 12 days in S. Africa then I'll post back here when I return on the 15th.

Talk to ya'll again in a few weeks

vndrsmth's gear list:vndrsmth's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX400V Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha NEX-6
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow